Tuesday, January 13, 2009

This last week we started off into 1 Timothy, and the initial challenge that the book brought to the surface was the idea of remaining faithful to the commitments you’ve made, to the responsibilities God has given and you’ve accepted. This morning as I sit here praying about our movement, I thought it appropriate to prompt us to really take inventory on what those commitments are (that we’ve been given by God to steward) and then to take some time to allow God (individually and through the collaboration of others) to further direct us in those things.

  • What are they?
  • Where are you with them? Discouraged? Afraid? Excited? Hopeful?
  • What is “the dip”? In other words, what obstacles are you going to have to overcome and what will be the cost of overcoming them?
  • How can you elicit the help (collaboration) of others to be more faithful and/or to remain faithful?

As you know, we just came out of a series in which the focus was creating culture, that is, joining with God in making something of the world. The connection between our last series and what we talked about last week has the potential to be very strong. So, I encourage you, as one passionate about loving God back by joining Him in bringing heaven to earth, to spend the energy to determine how to move forward.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

I appreciated the challenge to stay committed to what I have already accepted as my responsibility. It still puts it back in my court with if I chose to accept the responsibility in the first place... not the mindset of "well it must not be what God intended because things are not going well or I just want to move on to something else." I also appreciate the character challenge that includes all people... not just Christ followers. It is also a good nudge for me that my words of encouragement to others are powerful!

Anonymous said...

hey Adam, just wanted to let you know that Sunday's talk and this week's blog came at a particularly helpful time for me. I've been feeling quite discouraged about things that I thought I knew God had said but feeling like there were too many obstacles, and wondering if I had heard right.
I guess I keep falling back into the old train of thought that if it's God's plan it will come together easily and be full of blessings... I needed the reminder that this is not always the case.
In answer to your question about the dip- it seems to me that other people's lack of support or belief in my God-given dream seems like one of the biggest costs....

Theresa said...

Michelle, i was just wondering if you see that changing then after some time. The "dip" has an up side after being in it after a while... does that for you?