Sunday, November 2, 2008

Existing Better - Prayer #3 (Personal Reflection)

On Sunday we wrestled with the observation that Jesus prayed (and he prayed hard)!

One of my favorite things about my degree program at George Fox has been the times when we're assigned to read 100-pages from a book and then told to post "a 200 word personal reflection on our reading. Then after you've done you're reflection, read what others' wrote and provide them feedback via 'push-back', encouragement, and questions."

So, lets try it, post a personal reflection (not to be confused with a summary) and then interact with one anothers' posts.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Till We Have Faces—C.S. Lewis

“Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.”

This metaphor for truth and wisdom resonates with me; not just as an analogy of truth, but also applying to my journey in pursuit thereof. The pat answers and definitively drawn lines of demarcation have not revealed God to me. Instead, I have found God in my tangled relationships with others; appreciated in his patience in my questioning of his existence; and felt his presence even as I struggled to keep him “out there.” For me,

God is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.

This view plays out in my approach to life in specific ways. I don’t ask God about choices I may be faced with; rather, I expect that all choices will include both positive and negative elements, but God will be present in whatever choice I make. I have a hard time explaining my faith to others, because I still struggle to understand it myself.

At the same time, though, the complexity keeps me engaged. The struggle keeps me fighting. And our interaction, together and through others, reveals his very real presence in my life.

adam said...

Thanks for sharing that Steph (and sorry it's taken a week to gain a response). That is remarkable stuff right there.

Your voice in the midst of the discussion is invaluable, so glad God connected you to our little movement and then invited you to continue with us in Helena, awesome!

So, you're reading Til We Have Faces? Where'd you pick up on it?